Thorn perry pear treesPyrus communis
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Flowering group: 3
Thorn is a traditional perry pear tree, with heavy crops of small yellow perry pears.
Thorn perry pear trees for sale
How to grow
Thorn can be pollinated by most mid-bloom pears, including Conference.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Thorn is an old pear variety from Gloucestershire, known from the 17th century. Originally used for eating and cooking it is now primarily considered used for perry production.
- Gardening skillAverage
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Flowering group3
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Climate suitabilityTemperate climatesMild damp climatesWarm climates
- Keeping (of fruit)1-2 months
- Food usesCulinaryHard cider
- Country of originUnited Kingdom
- Period of origin1650 - 1699
- Fruit colourGreen / Yellow
- Fruit sizeSmall